Cloverleaf Advocacy and Advocacy Awareness Week 2023 logo

Call us on: 01924 454875

Easy Read


MENU menu

Close close menu

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy


Who might need this: people aged 16+ who don’t have the capacity to make specific decisions (about where they live or serious medical treatment, safeguarding, care reviews) and who don’t have anyone who can be consulted about those decisions.


Independent Mental Capacity Advocates are known as ‘IMCAs’. They’re specially trained to support people who lack capacity and make sure their views and wishes are heard.


It’s a statutory service. This means that, under the Mental Capacity Act, local authorities and NHS organisations must refer people who need an IMCA.


How Independent Mental Capacity Advocates can help



If people can’t tell their advocate what they want, it’s not a problem. Our advocates will find different ways of working to help establish people’s views and wishes as far as possible so that their rights can be upheld. We call this ‘non-instructed’ advocacy.


Who can make a referral for an IMCA?



If you think someone should have the support of an IMCA, but you do not work for the local authority or NHS, you can still contact us and let us know. We can then get in touch with the person making the decision to discuss the referral with them.

Want to know more?


Download our IMCA factsheet

Not the right type of advocacy for you? Try these:


Care Act Advocacy

Independent Mental Health Advocacy


Relevant Person’s Representative

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

Non Statutory Community Advocacy

Carers Advocacy

Self Advocacy