Cloverleaf Advocacy and Advocacy Awareness Week 2023 logo

Call us on: 01924 454875

Easy Read


MENU menu

Close close menu

Relevant Person’s Representative


Who might need this: people living in care homes or staying in hospital and have a Deprivation of Liberty (DoLS) authorised by the local authority.


A Relevant Person’s Representative is also known as an RPR. Family members and friends can act as RPRs, but sometimes we’re asked to take on this role. Our RPRs are specially trained in the DoLS legislation and to work with people who lack capacity. 


It’s a statutory service, which means that the local authority has to appoint an RPR for everyone who is Deprived of their Liberty under DoLS. 


What does an RPR do?



If people can’t tell their advocate what they want, it’s not a problem. Our advocates will find different ways of working to help establish people’s views and wishes as far as possible so that their rights can be upheld. We call this ‘non-instructed’ advocacy.


Who can make a referral?


The local authority (usually the DoLS team)

Want to know more?


What is an RPR? Information for family and friends

Not the right type of advocacy for you? Try these:


Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy

Care Act Advocacy

Independent Mental Health Advocacy


Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

Non Statutory Community Advocacy

Carers Advocacy

Self Advocacy